Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Note from the Chief Errand Runner

Since this project began I have often had to remind myself of the pictures I've seen of stout little old ladies in neat black widow's dress hauling their daily groceries up the steep alleys and staircases of Italy.  It puts things into perspective when you're a 30-something woman with very little hill to traverse.  When I found myself starting to mumble about feeling like a pack horse while carrying bags and baskets of groceries to and from my home, those images of strong Italian matrons stopped my complaining and served me a piece of humble pie.  I realized how spoiled we really are in this society with everyone having cars that go anywhere and everywhere.  Then I think of how many women in this culture would not be able to continue running such daily errands on foot into the latter years of their lives.  They may not have remained in good enough condition, partly because of their reliance on those very cars.  So I hope to change that pattern, at least in my own life, and perhaps be an inspiration to others.  I won't just benefit from the physical exercise but also from the near daily interaction with local business people in my community who perhaps might just need a little inspiration themselves.  

1 comment:

Average Jane said...

Hi Maurie,

Yeah, I haven't owned a car for more than 10 years now, so I have heard this before many times. Everyone assumes that you are giving up your freedom if you give up your car, but in fact it is the opposite. I have a lot more financial freedom than other people my age/income level and I go everywhere that everyone else goes, often faster and with less hassle.

I don't think people who use their cars are spoiled though, they have to pay a lot of money for the cars every year, they can't enjoy the sunshine, they don't get as much exercise, and they have to figure traffic into their travel times, unlike a cyclist whose lane rarely stops. So I guess you could say that I'm a little spoiled, how wonderful.